The Alexander Technique for Improved Breathing
Breathing for Health
- Where is your breath when you speak?
Does it support you?
Does your voice resonant?
- Where is your breath when you exercise?
Does it support you?
Are you able to exercise for longer periods of time?
How long does it take you to recover?
- How are your energy levels?
Do you feel tired or lack energy?
- Do you hyperventilate?
i.e. over breathe in the upper chest.
- Do you catch yourself holding your breath?
Under breathing and over breathing are common health issues.
- Do you breathe through your mouth?
Efficient or improved breathing results from good posture which gives structural support and good co-ordination.
The Benefits of Efficient Breathing
- You sleep better
- You are more alert
- Your speech is energised and dynamic
- Your voice resonates and has its unique timbre
- You have more energy
- Your complexion is radiant and youthful
- You give off a good energy or a “vibe”
- Your intercostal muscles are tuned and continue to support good breathing
- You are able to circulate more oxygen rich blood through the body which:
- Reduces infection
- Improves stamina and endurance
- Creates a feeling of wellbeing and relaxation
- Your body functions (organs, muscular-skeletal system) more efficiently
- You keep your lungs clear of coughs and bronchitis
If you would like to perform more efficiently or have more energy
What people are saying:
“The experience of what felt like “untangling” the muscles in my body released much tension, increased my height, increased my energy levels and put me more at peace with my environment. In addition it has removed my back pain I felt for many years, which doctors treated with drugs. IGeorge, Company Manager
“After 3 months of chronic back pain and trying every remedy short of surgery I was introduced to The Alexander Technique by Barbara. Initially highly skeptical my expectations were low. The results were extraordinary. Not only did the back pain quickly go but in a few short sessions I wasAndrew, Managing Director
“The Alexander Technique is the only thing that has relieved the shoulder and back pain that I had suffered from for a couple of years.”Mary, Musician
“My posture and walk have improved greatly. I no longer have back pain or shoulder and neck tension and I am feeling more self assured. The Alexander Technique is so simple but it changes how I approach everything in my daily life.”Anne, Lawyer
“I have always placed a lot of stress on my system, both through work pressures and through demanding physical pursuits such as marathon running. The Alexander Technique is the only method I have found for prevention. I am no longer a helpless “patient” with a “condition” but an active participantGlenda, Scientific Administrator